Friday




Revealed! Book Club Choices for May. Happy Reading.



stack-of-books2Because nothing boosts happiness more than a great book,
each month, I suggest:
· one outstanding book about happiness or habits
· one outstanding work of children’s or young-adult 
literature–I have a crazy passion for kidlit
· one eccentric pick–a widely admired and excellent book that I love, yes, but one that
may not appeal to everyone
I’ll post these recommendations here, or to make sure you don’t miss them, sign up for
the monthly Book Club newsletter.
Shop at the wonderful Brooklyn indie WORD, BN.com, Amazon (I’m an affiliate of all
three), or your favorite local bookstore. Or visit the library! Drumroll…
An outstanding book about happiness or, more specifically, habits:
Benjamin Franklin, Autobiography
Buy from WORDBN.comAmazon.
An outstanding children’s book:
Dorothy Canfield Fisher, Understood Betsy
Buy from WORDBN.comAmazon.
An eccentric pick:
Wayne Koestenbaum, Jackie Under My Skin: Interpreting an Icon
Buy from WORDBN.comAmazon.
I’ve noticed that many times, when someone describes a book to me, I want to read it less.
And often, weirdly, the better a book is, the worse it sounds. So I won’t describe these
books, but I love all the books I recommend; I’ve read them at least twice if not many
times; and they’re widely loved. I do provide slightly more context in the
book club newsletter.
If you read last month’s recommendations…what did you think? Laurie Colwin’s 
Family Happiness; Norton Juster’s The Phantom Tollbooth (which my 
nine-year-old daughter is reading aloud to me now); and Eugene 
Delacroix’s Journal. Such good books.
If you’re reading this post through the daily email, click here to join the conversation.
And if you’d like to get the daily blog post by email, sign up here. You can ignore that RSS business.

No comments:

Post a Comment